The Board of Advisors exists to assist the Dean of the Hamline University School of Law to ensure the continued strength and vitality of the Law School. Through in-depth familiarity with and active advocacy and support for the Law School’s mission, operations and aspirations, the Board of Advisors will work to advance Hamline as one of the country’s leading law schools.
Members of the Board of Advisors at Hamline University School of Law draw on their experience and education and give of their time, financial support, and expertise for the benefit of the greater Law School community. The Board assists in framing the basic direction of the Law School and monitors the implementation of strategic plans. It supports the Dean, the administration, and the faculty in such areas as curriculum, financial support, research, admissions, placement, student life, planning, and resource allocation. The Board also acts as an advocate for the Law School in the legal community, the business community, and the wider public.
The Board of Advisors will take on an increasingly important role in shaping the future of the Law School through its advocacy on behalf of the Law School within the legal community, understanding of the legal marketplace both locally and nationally, and assisting the Law School in pursuing national relevance.
The following statement of understanding communicates the responsibilities of a board member to the Board of Advisors and the responsibilities of the Board of Advisors to each board member.
Statement of Understanding for Members
- Members of the Board of Advisors Board at Hamline University School of Law agree to:
- Be familiar with the critical issues that pertain to American legal education.
- Understand the history, mission and traditions of the Law School.
- Understand the Law School’s academic and co-curricular program aims, structure, content and execution.
- Understand the financial operations of the Law School and relevant financial issues it faces.
- Participate in or lead initiatives designed to review the ongoing direction of the Law School and help frame its strategic plans for the future.
- Provide an external perspective that will inform the Dean and administration to help shape priorities.
- Identify alumni and potential friends of the Law School who have the capability for substantial financial support. Assist the Dean and the Development Office in cultivating and soliciting these and other potential donors.
- Attend Law School events as schedule permits.
- Keep confidential selected board information as requested.
- Act as an advocate on behalf of the Law School and University.
- Provide generous financial support for the Law School’s annual campaign at the President’s Circle level.
- Accept responsibility for supporting the Law School’s long-term economic needs by actively supporting fundraising efforts, and working to secure major outright, planned, or estate gifts.
Statement of Understanding for Hamline University School of Law
Hamline University School of Law responsibilities to members of the Board of Advisors:
- Provide for meaningful and rewarding service to the Board of Advisors and Law School
- Provide the information needed to serve in a meaningful and responsible manner.
- Schedule and provide notice of meetings well in advance.
- Be respectful of board members time and use it efficiently and effectively.
- Use board member financial contributions effectively and as designated.
- Provide appropriate recognition and acknowledgment for services and contributions.
- Respond to board member questions and concerns.
- Allow opportunities for feedback and criticism.