Health Care Compliance Certificate
Hamline Law offers its Health Care Compliance Certificate in two formats, a classroom option for Hamline JD students and an online option for all other students. Hamline JD students interested in the certificate must complete the classroom program, and all other interested students must take part in the online certificate program.
Health Care Compliance Certification enables you to be uniquely positioned to make a positive impact as a prepared and effective leader in your chosen health care setting.
- Be prepared: Compliance certification helps you gain the skills needed to guide a health care organization through the complex maze of government laws and regulations.
- Be effective: Compliance certification helps you to effectively develop and deliver training; create and enforce a code of conduct; audit, monitor, and investigate; assess risk; and be a champion of an ethical corporate culture.
- Be a leader: A compliance professional stands at the intersection of governing law and organizational management. Knowledge is essential to succeed in this growing field, but practical experience and a unique skills set are also necessary to be an effective compliance professional.
The Hamline University Health Care Compliance Certification Program teaches these critical skills. The program provides a thorough examination of governing laws and regulations, introduces students to industry leaders, and focuses on hands-on learning and interactive simulations through its in-depth and in-person curriculum.
This program is recommended for individuals in the health law industry who seek to:
- Set themselves apart in a field that is experiencing growth and development
- Contribute to organizational change and make a difference
- Educate their peers and effectively communicate complex concepts to a broad audience
Certification: A Competitive Advantage
Certification sets you apart in a rapidly developing profession. Individuals who meet the eligibility requirements and pass the Certified in Healthcare Compliance Examination (CHC Exam) demonstrate that they possess the requisite knowledge and meet the national standards set by the Compliance Certification Board (CCB). With Hamline's Compliance Certificate, you are eligible to take the CHC Exam without satisfying the other work experience and continuing education requirements. Here you will find information about how, when, and where to take the exam.
Hamline University School of Law's Health Law Institute and the Health Care Compliance Certificate are accredited by the Compliance Certification Board (CCB). Hamline is one of only six institutions accredited by the CCB.
The full 13-to-14 credit program is designed so that it may be completed within one year. Alternatively, students have the option of taking any of the compliance courses independently of the certificate curriculum to gain familiarity with the field or broaden their understanding of health care compliance. Certificate students at Hamline are also paired with industry professionals, effectively linking Hamline's strong academic learning environment with the real world of health care compliance.
Please view the Health Care Compliance Certificate course descriptions for more information.
Courses will include:
- Health Care Compliance Institute (Summer, 3 credits, pre-requisite to Compliance Skills and Governance & Ethics)
- Health Law Organization and Finance (Spring, 3 credits)
- Compliance Skills: Auditing, Investigating, and Reporting (Spring, 3 credits)
- Governance and Ethics in Health Care Compliance (Spring, 2 credits)
- Health Law: Quality of Care and Liability (Fall, 3 credits) - OR - HIPAA Privacy (January, 2 credits)
Upon completion of the coursework, the student must meet with Compliance Certificate Director Barbara Colombo for an exit interview. Please print, complete, and bring the Requirements Checklist to the exit interview.
Our program draws on the intellectual strengths of a world-class faculty comprised of professionals specializing in law, ethics, regulatory enforcement, governance, billing and coding, audits and investigations, and health reform, among other areas. This extraordinary faculty is dedicated to our mission of preparing highly trained compliance professionals.
To apply to the Health Care Compliance Certificate Program, please submit an application. Please contact Health Care Compliance Certificate Director Barbara Colombo at 651-523-2118 for more information.
Visit these websites to find current Health Care Compliance career opportunities:
Health Care Compliance Association Career Center
Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics Career Center Job Board
About Hamline's Health Law Institute
Hamline University School of Law established the Health Law Institute in 2006 to provide a broad range of learning opportunities to students, scholars, and health care professionals. Since its inaugural year, the Health Law Institute has educated the leaders of today and the leaders of tomorrow with specialized classes and externships from professors who know both the courtroom and the boardroom. Through our national speaker series and advanced expertise classes for working professionals, we have partnered to learn with the Upper Midwest's health care community to instilling practical skills, providing a forum for health law policy issues, and nurturing scholars and practitioners through our curriculum and events.
2009 Recipient of the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics
5th Annual International Compliance and Ethics Award
The Health Law Institute has been recognized as a leader in the compliance and ethics profession. This award pays tribute to organizations and individuals making significant contributions to the corporate compliance and business ethics profession.
Visit Hamline University's Health Law Institute to learn more.