Hamline University School of Law offers the
Trifecta of Online Health Care Compliance Education
Established - Launched in 2008, our accomplished program offers the most advanced and relevant curriculum in the country:
- We received the Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics 5th Annual International Compliance & Ethics Award.
- Our innovation is fueled by collaboration with world-class faculty and industry experts unique to Minnesota's highly evolved health care marketplace.
- We have a dedicated commitment to best practices in online learning.
- Our personalized support promotes effective and efficient learning.
- We draw from a network of talented and diverse students from around the country.
- Our graduates have demonstrated an excellent CHC Exam passage rate.
Flexible - Hamline University has redefined flexibility in health care compliance education:
Best Value - Our program has a long-standing commitment to maintaining highly competitive tuition rates and doing everything possible to provide added value to students:
- Hamline students choose when and where to participate in this dynamic online learning environment.
- Self-paced courses allow you to manage your time efficiently.
- Rolling admission allows you to submit your application anytime.
- Hamline faculty members are accessible.
- Students receive continuous, personal technical support.
- Students may choose to apply their Compliance credits toward the Hamline Master's in the Study of Law.
- Scholarships and financial aid are available for qualified students.
- All students have full access to the Hamline Law Library.
- Hamline students enjoy lifelong alumni benefits, including access to continuing legal education, health law events, and newsletters featuring health law news and career opportunities.
- We do not require registration, application, or matriculation fees.
Growing Career Opportunities
Health Care Compliance Certification enables you to be uniquely positioned to make a positive impact as a prepared and effective leader in one of today's fastest growing professions.
- Be prepared: Compliance certification helps you gain the skills needed to guide a health care organization through the complex maze of government laws and regulations.
- Be effective: Compliance certification helps you to effectively develop and deliver training; create and enforce a code of conduct; audit, monitor, and investigate; assess risk; and champion an ethical corporate culture.
- Be a leader: A compliance professional stands at the intersection of governing law and organizational management. Knowledge is essential to succeed in this growing field, but practical experience and development of a unique skill set are also necessary aspects of being an effective compliance professional.
The Wall Street Journal reported on October 22, 2013, "Pay is going up for experienced professionals, and booming demand for compliance staff at all levels promises opportunities for career changers, students and others without prior compliance experience but with skills useful in the field." Read the full article here.
This program is recommended for individuals who seek to::
- Set themselves apart in a field that is experiencing growth and development;
- Contribute to organizational change and make a difference;
- Educate others by effectively communicating complex concepts to a broad audience.
Hamline Law offers its Health Care Compliance Certificate in two formats, a classroom option for JD students and an online option for everyone else. JD students interested in the certificate must complete the classroom program, and all other interested students must take part in the online certificate program. Students enrolled in Hamline University's Master's in the Study of Law (MSL) degree program have the option to apply Health Care Compliance Certificate credits toward satisfaction of MSL degree requirements.
Congratulations to the first graduating class of Online Health Care Compliance Certificate students! Photos from their final Capstone and Graduation Reception in May 2013 can be found here.
Our program draws on the intellectual strengths of a world-class faculty comprised of professionals specializing in law, ethics, regulatory enforcement, governance, billing and coding, audits and investigations, and health reform, among other areas. This extraordinary faculty is dedicated to our mission of preparing highly trained compliance professionals.
Hamline University School of Law's Health Law Institute and the Health Care Compliance Certificate are accredited by the Compliance Certification Board (CCB). Hamline is one of only six institutions accredited by the CCB.
Certification: A Competitive Advantage
Certification sets you apart in a rapidly developing profession. Individuals who meet the eligibility requirements and pass the Certified in Healthcare Compliance Examination (CHC Exam) demonstrate that they possess the requisite knowledge and meet the national standards set by the Compliance Certification Board (CCB). With Hamline's Compliance Certificate, you are eligible to take the CHC Exam without satisfying the other work experience and continuing education requirements. Here you will find information about how, when, and where to take the exam.
Students who wish to become certified in health care compliance will earn 11 credits through comprehensive coursework. The comprehensive curriculum not only provides a thorough examination of governing laws, but it also gives students the tools to effectively address the operational realities of working as a compliance professional. Please view the Health Care Compliance Certificate course descriptions for more information.
Our in-depth, 11-credit program can be completed in just one year and combines online learning, with a low-residency format to create hands-on and interactive simulations. While a majority of the program is completed online, students from across the country will begin their education with a three-day residential component on our beautiful campus in Saint Paul, Minn. At the culmination of the program, you and your colleagues will reunite for a two-day capstone experience, which will include a comprehensive, multifaceted simulation exercise to test operational and substantive concepts learned throughout the program. This hybrid online/onsite model is designed to be engaging, allowing you to work with a cohort of students while providing you a quality education from our award-winning program.
- Health Care Compliance Institute (Summer, 3 credits, pre-requisite to all other courses, 3-day residency requirement)
- Health Care Compliance Laws & Regulations, emphasis on HIPAA (Fall, 3 credits, online)
- Health Care Compliance Skills: Auditing, Investigating, and Reporting (Spring 3 credits, online)
- Governance and Ethics in Health Care Compliance (Spring, 2 credits, online)
- Capstone (Spring, 2-day residency requirement)
Applicants for admission to the Online Health Care Compliance program must have earned a Bachlor's degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher. Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of less than 3.0 will be admitted on a case-by-case basis based on other admission criteria, including professional experience, graduate coursework, and a personal interview conducted by the program director. Please include an official transcript from all colleges and universities. The application deadline is May 1, 2014.
For students interested in a Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership with an emphasis in health care compliance, joint program opportunities are available between St. Catherine University and Hamline's Health Law Institute.
Non-discrimination policy: Hamline University School of Law does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, disability, religion, age, sexual orientation, or veteran status in its education and employment programs or activities.
The next cohort of students will begin in May 2014. To apply to the Online Health Care Compliance Certificate Program, please submit an application.
Tuition is competitively priced at $930/credit.
Applicants must complete the application form and return it with a nonrefundable $150 deposit. This deposit will be credited to your summer semester tuition. This deposit will only be returned if the applicant is not accepted into the program. Students will receive confirmation of enrollment via email. The remaining balance ($2,640) of your summer tuition is due two weeks prior to the start of class. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you have questions about financial aid.
Should a student withdraw from the program on or before May 13, 2014, tuition will be refunded. A student who withdraws from the program after May 13, 2014 is responsible for the full summer semester tuition. The $150 deposit is non-refundable. Students are not guaranteed the tuition and fee rates for more than one year. Hamline University School of Law reserves the right to cancel any course that does not meet minimum enrollment requirements.
Online Compliance students are required to join us in Saint Paul on Monday, May 26th for an orientation dinner and technology training, and to be in the classroom Tuesday, May 27th through Thursday, May 29th. There are several housing options for your stay in Saint Paul: ACTC Hotel Discounts and Campus Guest Housing. A block of rooms will be reserved at the Best Western in Bandana Square. This hotel also has a shuttle that will take you to and from campus. Single King rooms are $85/night plus tax. Please say you're with the "Hamline Health Care Compliance Program" when you call to make a reservation by April 27, 2014.
About Hamline's Health Law Institute
Hamline University School of Law established the Health Law Institute in 2006 to provide a broad range of learning opportunities to students, scholars, and health care professionals. Since its inaugural year, the Health Law Institute has educated the leaders of today and tomorrow with specialized classes and externships from professors who know both the courtroom and the boardroom. Through our national speaker series and advanced expertise classes for working professionals, we have partnered to learn with the upper Midwest's stellar health care community to instill practical skills, provide a forum for health law policy issues, and nurture scholars and practitioners through our curriculum and events.
2009 Recipient of the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics
5th Annual International Compliance and Ethics Award
The Health Law Institute has been recognized as a leader in the compliance and ethics profession. This award pays tribute to organizations and individuals making significant contributions to the corporate compliance and business ethics profession.
Please contact Health Law Institute Program Manager Kari McMartin at 651-523-2130 for more information.
Visit Hamline University's Health Law Institute to learn more.